This chocolate banana smoothie is a decadent reminder that warmer weather is on its way! The bitter cacao nibs balance the sweetness of the banana and dates, and make it extra chocolatey!
During my years in Montreal, spring was a season I awaited with much anticipation. The city seemed to come alive as layers were shed, parks transformed into green oases, and the streets filled with people emerging from their winter cocoons. I loved spending days at my friend (and confectionary artist extraordinaire) Alexandra’s place. We would bask in the warmth of her rooftop patio and treat ourselves to ice cream-like smoothies made with frozen bananas and dates!
The past few days, here on Vancouver Island, have been full of sunshine and spring flowers. My apartment can be deceiving, the sun pouring in, warming the air to a summer-like temperatures. I have to remind myself that outside it is still below 10C. I may still need a coat when I adventure outdoors, however while in inside, in my T-shirt and sans-socks, I have been indulging in this decadent chocolate banana smoothie, a fancied up version of those that we made back in my Montreal days.
Chocolate Banana Smoothie
- 3 bananas, sliced into quarters and frozen
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 6-8 small dates, pits removed
- 1 1/2 cup oat milk (or milk / milk alternative of choice)
- 2 Tbsp. cacao nibs (optional)
Place frozen bananas, cacao powder, dates and oat milk in blender. Blend until smooth.
Top with cacao nibs and prepare to be delighted!
* As always I encourage you to use organic ingredients. In this case I urge you to look for certified organic and certified fair trade (by a third party) cacao powder, cacao nibs and bananas, to support the fair and ethical treatment of farmers, as these products are often associated with child slave labour and poor treatment of workers.